Cross-media artist producers Marnie Orr (South West Australia) and Rachel Sweeney (North West UK) present projects employing 'live research' methods to chart and perform the geological and choreological parallels in wild and remote regions around the globe.

Place Mapping while walking



Marnie to Rachel
Dear Rach
I just finished speaking with you in the phone. I thought I would just jot something down ready for our conversation. I am on the choreography as cartography line.
I am also thinking now to look at setting up a tripod and leave the camera running. But I will definitely continue to embrace a triangulation of body-camera-country through a solo investigation, working as subject-photographer simultaneously | working the camera on the body.
BRAINWAVE - I need to find a geographer or similar! I am on it!.

I keep envisaging different costumes. So I was thinking I might work daily towards an OBA through the use of a costume | or not. This is starting to sound like being production-value-heavy. But it will be one person – so it won’t be much.
I have this similar image in my head from what I described to you in an email last year – at pixieville – floating down the river. Remember?

There is not nearly half as much water as at Dartmoor. Not even a tenth! But there is water presently! It rained!

I am good actually. Just a little hiccup with having (felt) overexposed to my yoga teacher. But I did ask for it. All good but. However, I have since been out of my ‘soulskin’. I am working on getting it back!

The place where I am looking at at the moment is Piesse Brooke in Kalamunda National Park. Attached are some photos. I have been doing loads of mapping and re-mapping. The surveys are shit over here. You have to search for bits and pieces to get a good geographical map.

I will be getting more poetic soon! I just want to set down a couple of ground parameters with you. Because I think we should formalise our process here (now). This will strengthen our practice, and I can then use this to form part of my MA independent project (which is another conversation really!)

In the image titles –
LF = Lesmurdie Falls National Park – another site quite interesting but riddled with tourists and their footprints and smell.
PB = Peisse Brooke, Kalamunda National Park – as described above.
The S1 / S2 etc stands for the site number (site 1, etc), and their reference name.
Tell me what your thoughts are.

Love Marnie